Title: A Formalization of Fingerprinting Techniques
Authors: Lanze, F., Panchenko, A. and Engel, T.
Repository Link: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/articleDetails.jsp?arnumber=7345360
Abstract: Fingerprinting techniques aim to identify objects such as devices, data, users, or even attacks, based on distinctive characteristics. In the context of computer network security, these techniques have been proposed and successfully applied in different application scenarios and with different goals in mind, e.g., to detect attacks or even to perform attacks. However, the related works in this field do not follow a consistent definition and notation of fingerprinting. Hence, central concepts such as uniqueness are mistakenly confused. In this paper, we tackle this issue by proposing a novel formalization approach of fingerprinting techniques. Our formal model is based on clear mathematical definitions and centered on the concept of a fingerprinting feature as a distinctive characteristic. We apply our formal model in two different application scenarios of remarkable research interest to illustrate its validity, flexibility and universality.
PRIVACY FLAG is at the moment one of the six EU projects on privacy innovation. The others are listed below:
• VisiOn – Visual Privacy Management in User Centric Open Environments
• Operando – Online privacy enforcement, rights assurance & optimization
• Panoramix – Privacy and Accountability in Networks via Optimized Randomized Mix-nets
• Types – Towards transparencY and Privacy in the onlinE advertising business
• SafeCloud – Secure and Resilient Cloud Architecture, www.safecloud-project.eu
PRIVACY FLAG also shares common interests with EU Projects in areas such as Internet of Things (IoT) and Smart Cities. These are:
• Organicity EU project – Co-creating smart cities of the future
• U4IoT – User Engagement for Large Scale Pilots in the Internet of Things. (Project started in 01/01/2017)
• ANASTACIA – Advanced Networked Agents for Security and Trust Assessment in CPS/IOT Architectures (Project started in 01/01/2017)
• CREATE-IoT – Cross Fertilisation Through Alignment, Synchronisation and Exchanges For IoT (Project started in 01/01/2017)
• WeLive – A neW concept of public administration based on citizen co-created mobile urban services
PRIVACY FLAG goal is to amplify the European privacy innovation community and promote the community’s position in an international context.